USA: In a digital world where data can quickly become "business critical" for server and data storage OEMs, system builders and end-users, the SCSI Trade Association (STA) announced two important developments in the advancement of the 12Gb/s Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) storage interface.
SAS is a proven storage interface based on the SCSI protocol that has the stability to tackle the most critical storage demands, without unnecessary complexities and integration challenges.
STA, a member-run industry association established to support and promote SCSI technology, first announced the InterNational Committee for Information Technology Standards (INCITS) Technical Committee T10 is finalizing its work on the Serial Attached SCSI 3 (SAS-3) specification which includes 12Gb/s SAS and has completed letter ballot. It is expected to be forwarded to INCITS shortly after comments have been resolved.
A letter ballot marks a significant milestone in the standardization process. In addition to the significance of this event in formalizing the specification, it also marks the beginning of the implementation phase of 12Gb/s SAS during which companies will finalize their designs. STA expects volume deployment of 12Gb/s SAS products in 2013.
STA also announced the successful completion of the 14th SAS Plugfest, the second for 12Gb/s SAS, held February 18-22, 2013, at the University of New Hampshire InterOperability Laboratory (UNH-IOL). Eighteen companies, including both STA members and non-members, participated in the Plugfest event.
The 14th STA Plugfest was highlighted by the following activities:
* Physical level testing of 12Gb/s SAS technology.
* Testing of different lengths and types of cables between the initiator and the target.
* Interoperability testing of SAS products, including SAS Initiators, Expanders and SAS Targets.
* Compatibility testing of hosts with solid state drives (SSD) and hard disk drives (HDD) running at 12Gb/s SAS.
* Interoperability ramifications of the transmitter and receiver training algorithms inherent in the specification.
* Testing of SFF-8630 MultiLink SAS and the SAS portion of the SFF-8639 multi-function backplane connector.